Top | Attorneys In Pennsylvania Gusty A.E. Sunseri & Associates, P.C. Attorneys at Law Super Lawyers

Name Change - Changing a Child's Name

By Judy Hale Reed, Esq., Associate Attorney, of Gusty A.E. Sunseri & Associates, P.C.

Under Pennsylvania law, any parent can give their child any surname: the mother's, the fathers, a hybrid, or an unrelated name. To change the name of a child, however, requires the moving party-that is, the person trying to change the child's name-to meet the best interests of the child standard. This means that the parent or guardian has to show that the child is better off with a changed name, and it is a difficult burden to prove.

The courts have repeatedly found arguments that a child should have the same name as other siblings or the father 'to be insufficient reasons' to change a minor's name. Where the courts have permitted a party to change a child's name, there were rare and severe facts, such as no relationship at all with the birth parents, or extreme violence or abuse by the parent whose name the child bore. Absent similarly desperate facts, the courts will not allow a child's name to be changed. In determining these matters, the courts use a set of criteria that is well established under Pennsylvania case law for evaluating these actions on a case-by-case basis.

If you are interested in learning more about a name change for your minor child's name, or fighting a petition to change your child's name, please contact our Pittsburgh law office to speak with an experienced Family Law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Me

If you need to speak with an attorney about an important legal matter, contact my law office in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. To schedule a free consultation, call 412-455-5388, or contact me by e-mail.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Gusty A.E. Sunseri & Associates, P.C.

1290 Freeport Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15238

Toll Free: 888-894-0351
Phone: 412-455-5388
Fax: 412-968-0254
Map & Directions