Top | Attorneys In Pennsylvania Gusty A.E. Sunseri & Associates, P.C. Attorneys at Law Super Lawyers

Overpayment of Child Support

Sometimes in child support cases, the payor ends up paying too much support over a period of time due to a clerical mistake or perhaps a garnishment of a Federal Income Tax return. As a result, there will be a surplus of support. However, the child support office will continue to withdraw the monthly support as scheduled. So what happens with that overpayment?

Recently, the Courts have established a system for reimbursing the payor so that he or she doesn't carry a surplus for the duration of the custody case. Now, the payor can ask the Court to modify the support order and lower it by 20% until the overpayment is cured. Either the payor or his attorney can ask the domestic relations office to do this. No court hearing is necessary. However, there is no guarantee that the Court will apply the full 20%. Court Orders are modified on a case by case basis.

If you have noticed that there is an overpayment in your case and you would like to attempt to have the matter resolved, consider consulting an experienced family law attorney. He or she should be able to help you understand how significantly your order could be impacted and for how long.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Me

If you need to speak with an attorney about an important legal matter, contact my law office in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. To schedule a free consultation, call 412-455-5388, or contact me by e-mail.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Gusty A.E. Sunseri & Associates, P.C.

1290 Freeport Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15238

Toll Free: 888-894-0351
Phone: 412-455-5388
Fax: 412-968-0254
Map & Directions