In my recent blogs regarding Marriage & Divorce, I have been dealing with the importance of communication to a successful marriage and pointed that in defining communication as an art. therefore, there are a number of key points that must be observed for successful communication.
- In communicating, make sure that eye contact is made by both individuals.
- Avoid distractions. For example – guys – turn off the TV. It is necessary to keep focus. It shows that what is being said is important.
- Determining the proper time and place is important. The right time is key to successful communication. It is good that a time be agreed on by husband and wife. Saying the right thing at the wrong time and in the wrong place is like saying the wrong thing! So … make sure that the right environment is set for successful communication.
- Have the correct perspective. The ability to see things from the other person’s view is a critical point. Know where he/she is coming from. Bear in mind the other person’s background. Pay attention to national and cultural differences. Be willing to change positions without compromising principles.
- Ask questions for clarity!
Submitted by Pastor W. Joseph
Should you wish to speak with Pastor Joseph, please feel to contact him through my Pittsburgh Family Law Office, Gusty Sunseri & Associates, P.C..