Gusty A.E. Sunseri & Associates, P.C. Attorneys at Law Super Lawyers

Is an inheritance subject to property division in divorce?

Divorce can be a big decision, not only because of the emotional ramifications that can come with ending what was once a strong relationship, but also because of the financial impact it can have on an individual's post-divorce life. Of course, child support and alimony can play key roles in the financial outcome of a marriage dissolution, but perhaps an even bigger piece of the financial picture is property division. Pennsylvania recognizes equitable distribution of assets upon divorce, which means that property is divided in a way that is fair but not necessarily equal.

It is important for Pennsylvanians to note that only marital property is subject to division through divorce. Separate property is not. Therefore, one major issue during property division is figuring out which property qualifies as marital property. Oftentimes, inheritances are drawn into questions, with one side trying to retain their right to keep what was left to him or her, and the other side trying to obtain a piece of what they believe to be his or her fair share of that inheritance.

Generally speaking, inheritances are considered separate property. However, what is done with that inheritance can change its classification. Typically, separate property that is comingled with marital property automatically converts that separate property into marital property. For example, depositing an inheritance into a jointly held bank account may convert that money into martial property, thereby subjecting it to property division in the event of divorce.

Regardless of on which side of a battle over an inheritance an individual falls, he or she will need to put forth convincing legal arguments in order to reach an outcome that is favorable to his or her position. This is why it is often helpful to have the assistance of an experienced and skilled family law attorney. Legal guidance can help divorcing spouses navigate this and other legal divorce issues.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Me

If you need to speak with an attorney about an important legal matter, contact my law office in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. To schedule a free consultation, call 412-455-5388, or contact me by e-mail.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Gusty A.E. Sunseri & Associates, P.C.

1290 Freeport Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15238

Toll Free: 888-894-0351
Phone: 412-455-5388
Fax: 412-968-0254
Map & Directions